The award ceremony for the Tan Kah Kee Science Awards 2012 & the Tan Kah Kee Young Scientist Awards 2012 is held on June 13, 2012, at the 16th General Assembly of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the 11th General Assembly of Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE). State Councilor Liu Yandong presents the ceremony and medals to the winners with CAS President Bai Chunli and CAE President Zhou Ji.
Award-winning projects of the Tan Kah Kee Science Awards 2012 are as follows:
- The project of "Growth and Quantum Phenomena of High Quality Topological Insulator Films" gets the Tan Kah Kee Science Award in Mathematics and Physics. This experimental work proves the existence of topological surface states protected by time-reversal symmetry in three-dimensional topological insulators and demonstrates the unique properties of massless Dirac fermion in these materials. The winners are Professor Xue Qikun from Tsinghua University, Professor Chen Xi from Tsinghua University and Professor Ma Xucun from Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- The project of "Functional materials based on pi-conjugated molecular systems" gets the Tan Kah Kee Science Award in chemistry. This work has important scientific significance and a good application prospect for the development of Organic Electronics. The winner is Professor Zhu Daoben who comes from Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- The project of "Studies on early diagnosis, early treatment and metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma" gets the Tan Kah Kee Science Award in Life Sciences. This study significantly improved the 5-year survival rate of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma on the basis of early diagnosis and treatment. The winner is professor Tang Zhaoyou who comes from Zhongshan Hospital of Fudan University.
- The project of "Scalable Parallel Computer Techniques" gets the Tan Kah Kee Science Award in Information Sciences. This project has provided a solid scientific and technologic foundation for scalable parallel computing in "Tianhe-1A" in theory, technology and engineering. The winner is professor Yang Xuejun who comes from National University of Defense Technology.
The winners of the Tan Kah Kee Young Scientist Awards 2012 are as follows:
- Peng Chengzhi, Professor of University of Science and Technology of China, is awarded the Tan Kah Kee Young Scientist Award in Mathematics and Physics for his systematic effort in the field of long-distance quantum communication, which contributed significantly to the process of practical quantum communication.
- Hu Jinbo, Professor of Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, is awarded the Tan Kah Kee Young Scientist Award in Chemical Sciences for his new concept of "negative fluorine effect" as well as his development of several novel nucleophilic fluoroalkylation reagents and reactions, which have important significance to the progress of organofluorine chemistry and the research on fluorinated functional materials.
- Song Baoliang, Professor of Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, is awarded the Tan Kah Kee Young Scientist Award in Life Sciences for his contributions to the understanding of the molecular mechanism of cholesterol homeostasis, which provides novel strategies to treat hypercholesterolemia and metabolic diseases.
- WANG Yuming, Professor of the University of Science and Technology of China, is awarded the Tan Kah Kee Young Scientist Award in Earth Sciences for his innovative contributions to our understanding of the evolution and geoeffectiveness of coronal mass ejections and of the forecast of severe space weather events.
- Gao Huijun, Professor of Harbin Institute of Technology, is awarded the Tan Kah Kee Young Scientist Award in Information Sciences for a set of theories and methods he proposed for networked control systems, which are of important significance for the control of distributed and complex systems.
- Cheng Yongjun, Professor of Lanzhou Institute of Physics, subordinated to China Academy of Space Technology, is awarded the Tan Kah Kee Young Scientist Award in Technological Sciences for a new method that he proposed as one of the main inventors to extend the lower limit of ultrahigh vacuum and extremely high vacuum primary standard by using non evaporable getter, which promoted the development of vacuum metrology.
Leaders from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Bank of China (BOC), Chinese Academy of Engineering(CAE), Ministry of Science and Technology, National Natural Science Foundation of China, China Association for Science and Technology, the National Office for Science and Technology Awards, National Energy Administration, Tan Kah Kee Memorial Museum etc attend award ceremony.